Sunday, January 20, 2013

KEEP THE FRIENDS THAT SET YOUR HEAD ON FIRE!


Keeping the friends that set your hair on fire is important....
Well, almost set your hair on fire. For example, my friend Jim. We’ve been best friends since I was eighteen and now I’m forty-blah-blah-blah. Suffice it to say it’s been a looong time. Jim’s an actor and a very good one. Back in the day, when I was still an actor we did a bunch of shows together in Chicago. One of them was GREASE, I was Frenchy and he was Sonny. At the part where we all think Rizzo is knocked up, Jim (Sonny) was supposed to lean into me (Frenchy) and whisper the rumor....He did, with a lit cigarette in his mouth (yes, people used to smoke on stage)
I smelled a hideous odor. It was my bright orange wig lighting up. Thankfully Jim slapped the side of my head quite soundly and put the flames out before my entire head was on fire....Cheap fake hair with buttloads of hair spray in it and flames are a very baaaad combo!
Oh, and there was also the time Jim and another cast member (my boyfriend at the time who shall remain nameless) glued the face of a female cast member onto the crotch of a naked spread eagle woman in a magazine I was supposed to read on stage....Choked with laughter, I couldn’t get my lines out. I laughed so hard that the audience started to laugh...in confusion. All three of us got written up by the stage manager. Good times, good times. 
So as you can plainly see, I could never let Jim go. Someone with a deviously creative mind like his is a keeper! I have gotten him back for these things many times over the years. The reason I share these trips down memory lane is because Jim is at my house now helping me write the screen play for HOW HARD CAN IT BE? and it’s not an easy task....
I have pouted and cried about having to cut scenes and combine characters. A lesser man would have told me to shove it up my whiney ass and left, but thankfully Jim can handle me. (or at least ignore me) I have been as asshat and an assmonkey, but we’re writing an amazing script.
So the lesson here is flaming hair, asshats, tiny faces in the crotches of naked spread eagle women and getting written up to the actor’s union make relationships stronger. I hope you have a Jim in your life. I’m sure as hell glad I do.
Buy my book!
P.S. I'm the one in the picture with the scary blond wig and the super cute head tilt and Jim is in the back row holding fuzzy dice....

Here's the Amazon link! Squeeehaw HOW HARD CAN IT BE? is finally on sale for real!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Yep! I can see you as Frenchy... Except the beauty school dropout part, or did we take our lives in our hands letting you near us with tweezers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you took your lives into your own hands!!!! Kidding! I totally know my way around eyebrows!

      Delete
    2. I went out and bought a lit makeup mirror after that experience. You're too far away for me to swing by once a week for a eyebrow thinning.

      Now, with this screen play, you'll be giving other people the opportunity to set each others hair on fire and build those wonderful long standing friendships.

      Just imagine.
      Teresa R.

      Delete