Monday, August 5, 2013

UNINTENTIONAL CASTRATION OF THE BAD GUY.....OMG


EDITORS ARE A MUST..........or your filth will shine through.

I am gross and uncouth upon occasion. When I do this I am fully aware of it. I luuurrrve naughty double entendres. They make me giggle and they have caused my Mom to swear I’m adopted. BUT recently I produced an unintentional whammy in the manuscript of, FASHIONABLY DEAD, that embarrassed even me....Due to threats on my life for only telling part of the story on Facebook, I’m am going to come clean and reveal how accidentally disgusting I can be.

THE DISGUSTINGNESS REVEALED!!!!

Alrightyroo, here is the email from my editor, Mary. I am in love with her for finding this. I am still appalled and laughing really hard..... The line in quotes is a line I wrote describing Astrid’s father. Okay here's the email....... You're welcome!

Robyn,
I am having a good laugh over this question!! 
"Beneath all the blood and oozing pussy sores he was some kind of..."
The adjective form of the word "pus" is pustulant. When I read this sentence as is, it sounds like the man has oozing sores on his pussy. I've tried different ways to write "pus-y" since people use that word in speaking, but they all look weird and don't make sense. I'd use "pustulant" instead, unless your intention was for Astrid's father to sport diseased female genitalia.
So are they pustulant sores or genital sores? 
(Hahahahaha...I so can't stop laughing!!!)
Mary

I wrote her back and CUT the word altogether. I never ever would have seen it like that because I knew what I meant!!!(and I had no intention of giving Astrid's father a vagina) I am gross on occasion, but NOT that gross!!!!! So there it is, my almost unforgivable faux pas. If you write, get a fantabulous editor like mine or else you might unintentionally castrate your characters.
xoxo Robyn

FASHIONABLY DEAD (minus the, um...sores) comes out the end of August. This one makes my heart sing and I can’t wait till you guys read it!
xoxo Robyn

Come visit me on Facebook for all the dish!! WOOHOO http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robyn-Peterman/418985661472374?ref=hl

12 comments:

  1. could have made it say: ""Beneath all the blood and sores oozing purulent pus he was some kind of..."

    But nurses come up with gross ways to state stuff and "correct" ways too..

    It will be good ..can't wait to see what other creative thoughts were put down for us to enjoy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have taught me a new word, nursebowen!!!!! Thanks for another alternative! Hope you enjoy the book.
      xoxo Robyn

      Delete
  2. Purulent...I don't even know if my Southern mouth can say that word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine either!! But, I shall tuck that one away. You, Mary, are a huge hit in the "funny" department and I'm am so glad I found you!! You are amazing! YAY!

      Delete
  3. HAHAHA! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome!! Thanks for stopping by! xoxo Robyn

      Delete
  4. Good catch on Mary's part-- I am sure we all would have been scratching our heads in an attempt to figure out how he had obtained female genitalia all of sudden -- unless he was a hermaphrodite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and that would have been a VERY BAD THING.....Not good to give an evil male Demon lady bits in the middle of his introduction. Just sayin' Luuurrrve you, Moni!!!!

      Delete
  5. LMAO... so not nearly as bad as I was expecting, but pretty darn funny and I think I Love your Editor for that email :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHA! I LOVED IT. But I too agree that it was good your editor caught it.
    Even when your trying not to write funny you are.
    Wish I could do that.
    Teresa R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Reasor, you are brilliant. If I could only have a little bit of what you have, I'd be set!!!! xoxo Robyn

      Delete